Sunday, April 22, 2012

And now for something completely different....

Fondest Memories

#1. Grandma
My grandparents were retired. They had purchased a 5th wheeler and would travel the southern states during the winter then park at the Ridges (before it became a gold course) during the summer. The Little Britches Rodeo would also run there. It just happened that the same weekend the my grandpa went north for his annual fishing trip with his buddies was the same weekend that the rodeo was in town. I believe I turned 14 that year. If you've never been to the Ridges, while it still had campgrounds.. I'll give you a basic layout. The rodeo would take place in the front of the property by the road. There is a natural pit that the events would take place in. Then, just north of that, there was a small wooded section that the regular trailer campers would park. Then north of that there was the open camping. That is where the rodeo people would camp with their animals. Well, my grandma decided that I would stay with her for the weekend. So I was sitting outside, waiting for her so that we could go to the first event when this little red Ranger drove by, had two cowboys in the front and three/four in the back. They hollered hello and waved. I, being 14 and shy, just waved. My grandma came out and waved and hollered back. Of course, it being my grandma, I had to hide my face in shame. She slapped me in the shoulder and pointed out that I had people talking to me. We went and watched a couple of events. When we were sitting outside the trailer later, the same truck with the same guys drove by again. My grandma pointed it out to me, of course, as she waved and greeted them again. This happened a couple of times more throughout the rest of the day. Then after supper my grandma decided that she needed to take a walk (or a waddle for those who knew her), I opted to not go with her.  When she came back she had company.... as she claimed she just "happened" across the little red Ranger and invited some of the guys over for a drink. I was so embarrassed that here was my grandma was trying to set me up with a boyfriend/date. The guys eventually left. I then pointed out that I was 14, not ready for a boyfriend and also that the rodeo cowboys weren't from around here so they would only want one thing from me. She conceded my point. So the next day she didn't try to set me up with anyone, but she did proceed to point out all the luscious cowboy  butts that were walking by. Yup, that's what I said. A 60 year old woman was teaching her 14 year old grand-daughter the fine art of butt watching. We would have arguments about who had the best butts...I say it was cowboys, she said it was military men. (but she was biased since she was married to a military man.).  I still have that argument with her in my head. Man... I miss that woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment